History & Mission
In 1921, the 16.33 acre tract of land on Belmont Avenue in North Haledon known as The Muhs Estate was sold by its owner to the Salesian Sisters of St. John Bosco, Eastern Province and in 1924, Mary Help of Christians School opened its doors. Much change transpired in the ensuing years. Buildings were razed, constructed, updated and transformed. The school has continually adapted in response to the needs of the surrounding community and has served at various times as an orphanage, elementary school, boarding school and in 1944 assumed its current identity as an accredited high school.
At present, Mary Help of Christians Academy is a comprehensive college-prep program with Advanced Placement® courses, college-credit opportunities and specialized internships. Students at the Academy come from varied social backgrounds, ancestries and heritages, and our commitment to diversity enhances our mission to educate the whole child.